Data-driven air technical modeling, lab results and factory measurements contribute to building economical dust & vapor extraction systems that are reliable over the long term with a truly meaningful process guarantee.
Why air technical (GCM) Modeling?
Industrial dust collection and ventilation systems are relatively easy to build but very hard to operate in a stable, reliable, and efficient manner. That is, if the system has not been modeled beforehand and pressure drop measurements and optimal extraction velocities/ piping diameters are not calculated or simulated properly.
No operator likes to work in a dusty environment.
Dust is emitting from the process and settling on floors, structural beams and on the equipment. In addition, operators are complaining when they are working on dusty feeder floors, when they empty powder contained bags in filling cabinets or when they exchange an empty big bag and remaining powders are emitting to their area. In addition these dust particles could be ultra-fine and insoluble, toxic or highly explosive which make the need for an effective balanced extraction system a MUST.
What is GCM Modeling?
The patented Graphical Computational Modeling (GCM) software is used all over the FMCG, Pharma and Chemical industries.
For more than 20 years JOA uses its own developed software to design non-polluting extraction systems. The data such as extraction capacities, optimal duct-routings and the location of the equipment (filter, scrubber, fan etc.) are usually obtained during the pre-engineering phase and entered our (GCM) simulation software program. In addition many advanced settings are possible. A few are listed below:
- Temperature and relative humidity can be calculated throughout the whole extraction system. Undesired condensation can lead to fouling, corrosion and downtime and is easy to prevent by conditioning the air (heaters, dryers, dilution, etc.).
- Heaters and chillers can be applied and calculated. Equipment such as filters, scrubber, cyclones, valves can also be applied.
- Advance pressure settings for designing Vacuum Cleaning Systems or pressure less extraction at for example weighting feeder as possible.
- Advanced piping lists. Client preferred piping can be used during the calculation.
- Scenario Management Tool allows us to recon with minimum, maximum and optimal extraction velocities. This prevent fluctuations in extraction velocities and overdesigning of equipment (fan and filter). Various scenarios can be verified by switching off/on extraction points.
- Multi way distributors and carrousels can be calculated. This allows us to calculated stable extraction systems when closing or opening extraction valves.
- Visualization & Automation options such as:
- Fan requirements (capacity and pressure)
- Advanced plot showing velocities, capacities and temperatures at each piping section of the system
- Quick automated system requirements
Modeling makes the difference between knowing what to expect and hoping for the best.
René Bosscher, Sr. Consultant Service & Modeling
GCM Modeling ensures:
- Better balanced Dedusting & Vapor Extraction Systems
- Guaranteed extraction velocities and capacities.
- List of requirements containing
- Fan requirements (capacity and total pressure)
- Optimal duct diameters
- Optimal extraction velocities & capacities
- No need to learn and optimize after Realization
- System performance direct from commissioning
- Limited downtime
- Reduced cleaning & maintenance intervals
Benefits of Technical GCM Modeling in advance of Realization
The main reasons for precise modeling is to add value in the following ways:
- Minimize risks and unexpected setbacks during Realization
- Implement the extraction system ‘the 1sttime right’
- Provide a meaningful process guarantee on the overall system design
- Provide multiple scenarios insights to make predictions\
- Learn about particulate matter behavior
- Predict future outcomes
- No need to optimize after commissioning
- Foundation of new ground-breaking innovations
- Easy adjustments & scenario modeling